Protect Yourself from Flooding
Because the City of North Myrtle Beach is located on the coast, it is subject to both flooding from the Atlantic Ocean and inland flooding from rivers and streams. Being prepared is the best defense against damage from flooding and other disasters.
The City of North Myrtle Beach is an active participant in the Community Rating System (CRS). This program is voluntary, and determines a discount (from 5-40%) on flood insurance rates based on activities performed by the community. The City of North Myrtle Beach is a CRS Class 6 community, and our residents receive a 20% reduction on our local flood insurance premiums. Our city’s Planning and Development Department has certified floodplain managers available to speak with you or your group on variety of topics related to flood plain issues:
- Flood Map Determinations and an explanation of your risk to flooding
- Copies of Elevation Certificates (ECs)
- Copies of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs)
- Requirements for Construction in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA)
- The City of North Myrtle Beach is also a StormReady and TsunamiReady community